Sunday, June 10, 2012

Movie Review: Dark Shadows






I was excited for this movie. I made my darling boyfriend take me opening weekend to the local theater we don't even like because it was the only theater in town showing the movie. I love Tim Burton, I love Johnny Depp, I live it when they work together. Yes, some of their movies are kind of cheesy but they're full of character and heart and I love them! Everyone has their secret pleasures, right?

This movie did not tickle my fancy. At all. Actually, I'd be will to say that this is a crappy movie. The characters are not well developed, the movie is melodramatic in places where it would have done much better to be humorous instead and while I had heard that it took a different twist on the old television show, I was not aware that the movie was going to just openly mock the show. The movie started out humorous, showing the recently-awakened vampire trying to adjust to the 1970s and I was somewhat excited to see this motif continue but it didn't.

Honestly, I just didn't care about any of the characters or anything that happened to them. When things went wrong, instead of showing how the characters solved a problem, things just magically were in the next scene. Hardly even a montage. I need at least a montage!

I was and am very disappointed in this movie. I expected more.

Overall grade: C-

No comments:

Post a Comment