Monday, December 31, 2012

2012 Wrap Up


I'm having a hard time saying that 2012 was a great year. It was a year. It had its ups and downs and made me really sick of it sometimes but it could have been a lot worse in many ways. So on this, the very last day of the year, while I sit here in my office I am very thankful for the benefits I have received this year and that for the most part, I have made it out of this year and into the next healthy and ready for more. 

In November, I tried to play catch-up with the blog and write about all of the things I have consumed but not wrote about this year. Turns out, I got distracted and didn't get around to everything. So here is a end-of-the-year wrap-up so that I can move into the new year with a clean slate. So here, for your consuming pleasure, are some mini-reviews of things. I guess I can consume a lot more media that I can create.

"Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Hunter"

This is the superior Tim Burton project to come out this year. I thoroughly enjoyed this movie and wouldn't mind owning it. I know a lot of people didn't like this movie because they said it was offensive to remember such a great man in this awful, false way. Come on, it's a movie! It's supposed to be totally ludicrous! Don't get your panties in such a bunch. I'm all for it.


I didn't read the comic books. I didn't see the original movie. I'm pretty sure my sweetie just wanted to go to hear the line, "I am the law." I wasn't a huge fan. Way too much gore and meat sounds. 


I thoroughly enjoyed this movie. The action was great. The discussions on time travel were fantastic. The acting was wonderful. The little kid was creepy as hell. Joseph Gordon-Levitt's fake nose was distracting. I am ready to watch this one again. 

This movie was funny. This was not the best movie of the year as some unknown source liked to claim.  This isn't an "instant classic" or anything like that. It was funny once and I will probably forget it exists by this time next year.

This was a really fantastic movie that I never got around to writing about because I didn't want to have to write about the shooting. That event terrified me. It also led to six months where I really didn't feel safe anywhere. (Actually, still not over that.) A good villain in a movie makes me really happy and this movie packed a great punch in the villain department. The one thing I wasn't a huge fan of was how glossed over Catwoman's story felt. I REALLY REALLY wanted her roommate to be Harley Quinn. In my head-cannon, she was. Eventually I would like to marathon all three movies... Especially after listening to John Hodgeman talk about the first one on a recent episode of the Nerdist podcast.

I liked the other movies better. This was still a good action film but not the best of the series. I admit I'd rather watch the Mission Impossible movies any day.

This was delightful and well worth the wait. The movie was both heartfelt and yet still light and silly. I really enjoyed where they took the story. I am curious to see if we'll get another one. I wouldn't be against it.

No brains, all big hair. If you went into the theater hoping this movie would cause more than two brain cells rub against each other, you're doing it wrong. This is pure cinematic cotton candy. All sugar, fluff and hairspray.

This is another remake that I have not seen the original of. Unlike Dredd 3d, this movie actually made me interested to see the original. The technology within the movie was really neat. I was really digging on those "Place Hand Here" phone screens. Super cool. I loved the ambiguous ending. I'm kind of happy in the pain of not knowing what was real and what wasn't. Oh, and yay for the alien with three boobs. 

Cinematically stunning. Absolutely beautiful to watch. It was so enthralling that when the tiger finally did spring into action on the boat, my sweetie lept out of his seat, arms flailing and yelled, "Oh shit!" and then I laughed at him. If Ang Lee doesn't get all of the awards, it will be a damn shame.


No comments:

Post a Comment