Monday, July 9, 2012

Obsessions: Sherlock



Yesterday my sweetheart didn't feel well. He wanted to be cuddled soothed and not forced to leave the couch for the majority of the day. Of course, as a modern human presented with this sort of situation, my first instinct was to say, "Let's see what the Netflix has." We are both massive Doctor Who fans and it was already in our heads that Steven Moffat is a god walking on earth and we had heard good things about this show so why not? "Let's try an episode of Sherlock."

Bah. Try ONE episode! Right... Not likely.

It is probably a blessing in disguise that Netflix only has the first series. It is also probably a blessing that each series is only three episodes. If there had been ten episodes and they were each two hours each, we would have watched them all. I'm not even kidding. It would have been like that episode of "Portlandia" where they got hooked on "Battlestar Galactica".


We literally sat completely enthralled for five hours. Damn you, Steven Moffatt...

Of course, tonight we are determined to to watch more. "NEED MOAR! NOW!" In our hunt for Series 2 of Sherlock, both Netflix and Blockbuster failed us. Rather than waiting and being patient like people used to do when they didn't have the option to be demanding but what fun us that? So yes, we went out and purchased the dvds of a show we started watching... yesterday. I feel no shame!

Sherlock is one of the smartest and most inspiring televisions shows I have seen in a very long time. It doesn't surprise me at all that my new second favorite show is directed by Steven Moffatt. I adore the man. I adore his brain. I want to curl up inside of it and live there. Benedict Cumberbatch, who has the most fun name to say ever, is a brilliant Sherlock. He is condescending and intelligent in a way that should make you hate him, but instead it is endearing. He's the guy you want to impress. He's the guy you to think you're clever.

Martin Freeman is an adorable Watson. Such and adorable lap dog of a side-kick. I can relate to him quite a bit. He's finally someone to keep his life interesting and will do everything he can to keep living the exciting life he's found. He's a little thick-headed at times but he's very clever when it counts.

Basically, I want to follow these men wherever they go just so I could be near their adventures.

Thank you, BBC America. I don't think TV would be worth having without you.

No comments:

Post a Comment