Tuesday, November 11, 2014

Doctor Who: Season 8




Well... That was certainly a season that happened... I'm not really sure how I feel about the whole thing but as a whole, it doesn't feel very positive. I mean, Peter Capaldi was fine. I don't mind him as The Doctor but it felt like Moffat and the other writers just didn't know what to do with him. After the world-wide smash hit that was Matt Smith, this season felt an after-thought. I know transitions between Doctors can be hard, but this learning curve felt really steep and we did not come out shining on the other side. There are few episodes that I have found memorable in the entire season and there's even an episode that I fell asleep during and have not felt inclined to go back and see what I missed. The general consensus is that I didn't miss anything.

There were few through lines to tie these episodes together and while I know a cohesive storyline from episode to episode is not required in Doctor Who, but there is usually at least some sort of overarching theme. The few through lines we did have felt half-hearted and rushed. Oh wow, how ground-breaking! The Doctor's companion has a boyfriend who doesn't like The Doctor! The Master is back and oh my goodness, The Master is now The Mistress? Shocker! Every problem was solved too easily and every adventure was quickly forgotten. It was as though everyone except Danny Pink suffered from some form of amnesia. It was like dealing with a drunk girl who only wants to be your friend when she's drinking. As soon as she sobers up, she'll forget every promise she's made to you. It is a miracle that Danny didn't punch The Doctor at any point this season.

The thing that concerns me most is wondering where we could possibly go from here. Clara is leaving after the Christmas special (which I am looking forward to mostly for Nick Frost as Santa!), we've established that The Doctor is not a good man, The Master is either dead or, more likely, teleported somewhere. What does that leave us with? This is a season without a legacy.

Capaldi isn't the problem though. In my opinion, Moffat and the writers of the show are the problem. Moffatt has been the show runner for fifty episodes. It may be time for him to bow out. He is a very busy man with his fingers in a lot of different progress and the thinner he spreads himself, the more the work suffers. You know, Moffat should start to be concerned that all the merchandise that's currently being sold still has Matt Smith and David Tennant's faces all over it.

This was a forgettable season. I stopped looking forward to new episodes in this season. It isn't Peter Capaldi's fault, it isn't Jenny Coleman's fault. Sometimes it is hard to be a Whovian.

No comments:

Post a Comment