Monday, November 24, 2014

Mockingjay: Part 1

Hunger Games! Ya ya ya!

So it appears that there is a large percentage of my brain that has been utterly destroyed by South Park. I accept this about myself, mostly comforted by the belief that I am not alone. I am not the only person who was making up fake Lorde songs after the movie was over. I guess I should just shake my fist at Matt and Trey and let them know that they did their job. Thanks for screwing up my brain, guys.

MOCKINGJAY! Right, right... Back to Mockingjay: Part 1. I will start by saying that yes, I have read all of the books and I am a big fan. I have been very impressed thus far by how well they have kept true to the books. One of the things you usually have to do as both a book fan and a movie fan, is that you often have to forcibly divorce movies based off books from the book itself. Otherwise it is nearly impossible to enjoy most book-to-movie adaptations. This is fortunately not the case with this movie series. Directors and script-writers have stayed extremely true to the source material and as a result, the movie is entirely engrossing. There really aren't any moments where the informed viewer has to pull their attention and say, "Wait what are you doing now?" I am extremely thankful for movies like that.

I absolutely loved Mockingjay: Part 1. I was on the edge of my seat with anticipation for the entirety of the movie. The moment the credits rolled, I turned wide-eyed to Chris and said, "I CAN'T WAIT FOR PART TWO." I'm having a hard time deciding who has it worse, the unsullied who went into the movie blissfully ignorant and now have to wait to see what happens next, or those of us who have read the books and know the madness that is just beginning. I agree with where they cut the movie (though I predicted a blackout/roll credits about ten minutes too early.) and they've left so so much adventure for part 2. Part 1 seemed to mostly be a world building movie.

Mockingjay:Part 2 currently has a release date of November 20, 2015. I'm all for planning a Hunger Games marathon the week before. Who is with me?

If you haven't seen this film yet, I fully recommend it. If you're one of those people who is waiting to see it right before part 2 comes out, I'm just going to stare at you knowingly for the next year, 'kay?

No comments:

Post a Comment