Friday, April 13, 2012

Mirror, Mirror



This is an absolutely adorable film. Simultaneously sweet and stinging. Julia Roberts plays an absolutely amazing and believable evil queen. I mean, what evil queen ever realizes that she is, in fact, evil? And Lily Collins is a pitch perfect, pure, innocent princess with a warrior's heart.

I adore the fact that the fairytale was somewhat tweaked to turn this from a story about a wilting flower and the prince swooping in when he damned well pleases into a story about a warrior princess who saves herself as well as the unfortunates in her village. In this movie, the dwarves are not cute little singing miners. They are the people who were excommunicated from the nearby village for not being aesthetically pleasing to the queen.

the costumes in this film are FANTASTIC and yet, light-hearted. It is clear that the queen is an eccentric dresser and everyone is just too scared to say so. The Bollywood influence made me incredibly happy. Be sure to stay for the credits so you get to see the awesome dance sequence!

I was skeptical a first going into this movie because I was hoping so hard that it would be based off the Gregory Maguire book. It is not based off the book (but you should read it anyway) unfortunately but I was surprised by how much I enjoyed it regardless.

I give this movie and 8 out of 10 and absolutely recommend that you all go out and support this movie! It isn't a heavy-hitter in the box office but the colors are fantastic on the big screen.

No comments:

Post a Comment