Tuesday, January 19, 2016

Week 8: Early Patternings, an Exercise

1. As a kid, my dad thought my art was great. That made me feel proud but also shy.
2. I remember many times when he bought me books on being a writer and encouraged me to write.
3. I felt very intimidated and determined about that.
4. As a kid, my mother taught me that my daydreaming was a good jumping off point.
5 I remember she'd tell me to snap out of it by reminding me that I need to find a practical application.
6. The person I remember who believed in me was my dad though both parents were supportive.
7. I remember one time when my mom wouldn't put a distinguished student bumper sticker on her car because she didn't put ANY stickers on her car.
8. I felt disappointed and silly about that.
9. The thing that ruined my chance to be an artist was inactivity.
10. The negative lesson I got from that is that I can't be simply a daydreamer and be an artist.
11. When I was little, I learned that terrible hand writing and sloppiness were big sins that I particularly had to watch out for.
12. I grew up thinking artists were miserable people.
13. The teacher who shipwrecked my confidence was Marcy B. (Why do I feel like she probably googles her own name?)
14. I was told that I am like a cat she had as a child. No matter how many times her dad tossed it off the back porch, she'd just keep coming back.
15. I believed this teacher because she was my college adviser.
16. The mentor who gave me a good role model was both Angela and Natara.
17. When people say I have talent I think they want to convince me to do something for free.
18. The thing is, I am suspicious that people are overly kind about my work because they want to spare my feelings.
19. I just can't believe that I have really ever done a "great" job. There is always room to improve.
20. If I believe I am really talented, then I am mad as hell at all the time I've wasted thinking and not doing.

No comments:

Post a Comment