Tuesday, March 1, 2016

Book of the Month: February

In the month of February, I finished nine books and five of those were graphic novels. I read some really good books that stirred emotions within me, made me think about social justice, made me cry about how close two people could be without knowing each other at all, and made me thankful for the advancements in women's rights we have made in the past century. All of these books hold a special place in my heart but none of them captured my spirit the way "The Unbeatable Squirrel Girl," did.

This graphic novel was purchased on a whim from Eureka Books (along with "Lumberjanes") one Saturday afternoon. I admit to feeling compelled to choose between this title and "Ms. Marvel" and while I will read "Ms. Marvel" in the future, I am really glad I picked up this nutty lady. I do not typically enjoy reading superhero comics and I often find them to be one-note affairs and end up causing battle fatigue. This is not the case with Squirrel Girl. She is quirky and actual-human-lady-shaped and highly creative. I had to stop reading the comic after a couple of pages because I found myself thinking about how I would construct her giant tail for cosplay purposed. (Don't worry, I've got it figured out. It shouldn't be any harder to make than assless chaps, right?) This comic inspired me, tickled my fancy and made me reconsider my Halloween costume for 2016.

I am very much looking forward to reading volume two of this tail (haha) and seeing where this lovely lady, her squirrel buddy and her awesome roommate go next.

No comments:

Post a Comment