Thursday, January 19, 2012

Movie Review: Sherlock Holmes: Game of Shadows

I saw this film on New Year's weekend in one of the smaller viewing rooms in the crappy movie theater about two miles from my house. Behind me on the right was an old lady who kept asking, "What's going on?" and "What did he just say?" throughout the entire movie... even after we got the volume turned up. Behind me on the right was a group of stoned dudes who kept saying things like, "Oooooooh, no way man!" and such phrases a bit too loudly also throughout the entire movie. This reinforced the idea that we hate this particular theater and we wished we hadn't been too lazy to drive to the one twenty minutes away.

That all being said, I enjoyed this movie. I like the first film better but in no way is this a bad movie. My boyfriend liked this one better because it was more action and less about the brain-work and methods that Holmes uses in order to solve mysteries. I rather like watching the genius process. I mean, I'm all for a movie with a good fight scene but isn't flexing a mighty brain so much sexier?

I was very sad to see Rachel McAdams' character go but honestly, I couldn't tell you if I liked watching her or if I liked watching the parade of beautiful, extremely form-flattering outfits she paraded around in. I guess that doesn't really matter though.

Moriarty is a superb villain. It is so incredibly delightful to watch an intelligent villain who is as calculated and thoughtful as Moriarty. Watching between he and Holmes made me happy down deep in the farthest reaches of my Hippocampus.

By all means, see this movie but try not to be disappointed when the big, beautiful brain inside Holmes and Watson's equally beautiful heads send most of their time telling the legs of their humans to run and shoot guns.

No comments:

Post a Comment