Monday, October 1, 2012

Weeds: Series Finale


I'm going to do my best to keep this as spoiler-free as possible as I realize most people don't have Showtime and probably won't see this for another year. 

I started watching "Weeds," probably around season 4 mostly out of curiosity. The first few seasons were filmed in my hometown and actually, in my friend's neighborhood. I enjoyed getting to point out local landmarks and what they really are. That "It's a Grind" coffee shop? Totally real. Right across the street from the Punishment Light and I think that coffee shop actually put the Starbucks in the same parking lot out of business. But I digress. For me, "Weeds" was a great escapism show. I always thought it should be called, "Who Will Nancy Fuck to Solve Her Problems Now?" but I guess that's a little bit long-winded. No matter what the problem, Nancy almost always found a way out. Except for dating... Her boyfriends/husbands always seemed to end up dead. Nancy is a chameleon. She kept everyone guessing all the time. No one person who thought they were close to her ever had all of the pieces to the Nancy puzzle and I really loved that about her. 

As for her boys, Shane, Silas and Stevie, you always kind of knew one of those kids was going to get royally screwed in the head. I mean, with mom dealing drugs and father figures dying all over the place? I don't think anyone was surprised to see which one of the boys went kookie.

The finale showed what I picture to be the healthiest of all possible situations when it comes to the Botwin family. No, things aren't perfect for them but I really feel like they're as good as they could possibly be. The show is over. For real this time. Not like last season when I just thought it was over and then I found out that even what appears to be death is never really final. This time it is for good and I am able to leave these characters behind without any sort of resentment or regret. I am satisfied with the trajectory of their lives and the knowledge that they are all imperfect but trying. That's what matters.





No comments:

Post a Comment