Tuesday, November 20, 2012

Cloud Atlas


Cloud Atlas is a complicated movie. I like this movie in concept very much and it was a visually stunning film but by the end, I found myself feeling incredibly over-stimulated. For me it felt like standing in the middle of a small, crowded room where I didn't know anyone and was desperately trying to learn everyone's story but I was also drunk and making up stories of my own. After watching this film, I felt the need to sit quietly by myself and read simple books about food preparation. I was overwhelmed.

I would have been very happy to see this movie made into a series of movies with more focus on each individual story line but I know that wasn't the point. It was very interesting to see all of the actors portraying different roles and I'm sure it was a fantastic exercise for them but at the same time, some of the makeup techniques used were very distracting for me. An example would be turning a British man into an Asian man. Just looks funny.

I wanted very much to enjoy this movie as much as other people have but it really just made me uncomfortable. I think I am going to try to read the book and see if that makes the story a bit more digestible for me.

You should all still go see it and judge for yourself.

No comments:

Post a Comment