Sunday, November 25, 2012

The Cabin in the Woods






I don't watch scary movies. I can't. I have a really over-active imagination and I get nightmares. This is a fact of life. I wish it weren't so but I'm a big ol' wimp. So when I told my boyfriend I wanted to see "The Cabin in the Woods," he stalled. I rented the movie and it it just sat next to our tv for at least two weeks. It wasn't that he didn't want to watch the movie, he just didn't want to have to deal with me tossing, turning and fighting monsters in my sleep. I can't say I blame him. It's dangerous to date a violent sleeper. But I'm a Joss Whedon fan so I wanted to see, "The Cabin in the Woods." I knew that this wasn't going to be a typical slasher thriller and I would find some way to handle it.

I am so incredibly relieved to be right about this movie. This was so much more than a slash-fest. There were deeper themes and and the gore wasn't over the top. I really appreciate a horror movie that doesn't just kill for the sake of killing and has a sense of humor about itself. It is really unfortunate that this movie didn't leave any openings for a sequel because I would definitely watch it. I loved every twist and turn, I loved the characters, I loved the monsters. I don't really have any way to compare this to other horror movies, but I feel like this is a horror movie that just about anyone can enjoy.

Thank you, Joss!

No comments:

Post a Comment