Sunday, November 25, 2012

Mockingbird Lane


I few months ago, I started hearing that Bryan Fuller, the creator of the severely under-rated show, "Pushing Daisies," was going to be creating a new show based on "The Muensters," I was at first very excited and then filled with dread because I knew it wouldn't last. I thought it would be a marvelous surprise if the show ever even made it on air. Much to my surprise, just before Halloween, people started telling me about this weird new show with Eddie Izzard in it that they were all sure I would love. Miracle of miracles, they were talking about "Mockingbird Lane" and I couldn't have been happier. But then things got complicated for me. NBC announced that instead of bringing back recurring favorite, "Community," they would instead be bringing out new shows to promote their new line up and the other shows would have to wait until a then-undetermined date. Now, we know that time is mod-February. So instead of getting the shows we've been waiting for in October, we got new shows which were not destined to live long. Our shows were in jeopardy and that made both the actors and the fans very nervous. It would be so easy for NBC to just never bring those shows back at all.

All of this run-around with NBC made me very hesitant to even watch "Mockingbird Lane," despite my appreciation for short-lived Bryan Fuller shows. I recorded the show and it sat on m DVR for at least a week. It was hard for me to think about NBC spending money on this show, which I now knew was only going to have one episode see the light of day, when they could be bringing "Community" back that much sooner. It pained me to think that we wouldn't get a chance to see what Jeff and Britta would be up to this Halloween,

Eventually I got over it once an official air-date for the new season of "Community," was announced and watched "Mockingbird Lane." On the whole, I really liked this show. I loved the fact that they just let Eddie Izzard be himself and didn't try to make him act normally. He's such a wonderful character, it would be a shame to see him do anything else. I also enjoyed that the show was both light-hearted in its humor and also very, very dark. This show never would have survived on a traditional television station which is really unfortunate.

A few things bothered me but for the most part, I was pleased. I mean, it isn't really necessary for them to use expensive CGI to put a shot of the Golden Gate Bridge in every shot of the house. It would have been so much easier to use a less specific background.

I wish this had been a Bryan Fuller project that had made it at least one full season but there really never was any hope for this show.

No comments:

Post a Comment