Friday, October 16, 2015

The Artist's Way: Day 1

I have taken the book off of my shelf and put in on my desk within constant eyesight while I am "working." The idea is that once per day, for an hour or so, the book will guilt me into opening it. Today I battled through all the various introductions which this book has several of because it is actually three books in one. I admit, I do not typically read introductions in books, even if they're written by someone I like. I don't necessarily want that much information about a book before I dive into it. I am much more likely to go back and read the introduction or forward or preface after I'm done with the book.

I am excited about this journey but it is also rather daunting. Julia Cameron says that this is basically a twelve week course and as I probably won't be able to dedicate the same amount of time to the project every day, it will definitely take much longer than that.

One thing I will have to get over with this project is that she makes a lot of references to God and The Creator as the one who is the source of inspiration and the giver of creative juices. It shouldn't be too difficult to substitute these references with something that aligns better with my atheist ideals. God = muse, cool done. I have no problem with religion but it isn't my lifestyle and it was just slightly off-putting right off the bat with this book.

So here's to a fresh start in a creative life. Wish me luck and bear with me while I struggle.


No comments:

Post a Comment