Wednesday, October 28, 2015

Week 2 Writing Prompts

- Where does your time go? List your five major activities this week. How much time did you give to each one? Which were what you wanted to do and which were shoulds? How much of your time is spent helping others and ignoring your own desires? Have any of your (creatively) blocked friends triggered doubts in you?

I know a lot of my day is not necessarily spent wisely. I spend a good deal of time playing on the internet and generally trying to avoid whatever I'm "supposed" to be doing which is silly because I have set out the things that are on my To Do list, not anyone else so why would I not want to do them? I read for probably two hours a day though not all in one chunk. Usually an hour or so in the afternoon and an hour before I go to sleep. Sometimes less if I fall asleep. Then of course, I spend a couple hours every day doing various chores, cooking, The Great British Bake Off, etc. As the book says, it is a lot easier to think about writing but not actually do it, than to buckle down and do the thing that needs to be done. My schedule is also not exactly normal right now since I am out of work and my days are a little more fluid than usual. I have been fairly consistent with my morning pages though, which is good.

I have been doing some organizational work for my hubby so I spend a lot of time hanging around just to see if he'll have anything for me. I could be writing in that time but I'm usually not. I'm also weirdly protective of my writing so if someone walks by, I'll minimize the window and do something else which is dumb because everyone around me knows I'm writing and I'm not doing anything I'm not supposed to. Plus, this all goes on my blog when I'm done so what's the point of covering my work?

I haven't talked to too many people about this project but those I have talked to have been very supportive. I feel very lucky that I have so many working artist friends. Even if they don't do their art for a living, the majority of them do it as a very consistent side hobby. If nothing else, many of them have suggested I try to push myself a big further on this project than I had intended to. So not only am I using this project for NaNoWriMo this year to get the habit of writing, I'm also going to try to reach the word count goal of 50,000 words. That's super intimidating. Especially since I know I'm going to have to play some catch up during the week of Thanksgiving since I'll be hosting the family get together. I think I got off topic a bit...

I'm not doing for myself as much as I would like to and most of my "self" stuff is less than constructive. I am working to create new habits to make my me time a bit more constructive and mentally positive.

- List twenty things you enjoy doing. When was the last time you let yourself do these things? Next to every entry, place a date. 
writing - daily
yoga - twice weekly (last session yesterday)
knitting - nightly
baking - beginning September
sewing - two years?
dancing - ballet studio closed 3+ years ago
singing in a choir - 2010
hiking - two weeks ago
costuming - started some preliminary ideas this afternoon, last time made something, two Halloweens ago
coloring - last week
crafting - aside from knitting, 6+ months
cooking - 3+ times per week
reading - daily
poi spinning - 2 years+
hooping 1.5 years +
board games - June
camping - August
road tripping - two weeks ago
acting in plays - 2005
ice skating - 2009

- From the list above, write down two favorite things that you've avoided that could be this week's goals. 
Costuming: I started brainstorming a Dolores Umbridge costume this afternoon. I haven't decided if I should base it off of the movie Umbridge or the book Umbridge so I need to add "Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire" to my "To Read" list.
Baking: I've been off the bread wagon for a couple of years (baking-wise, not eating-wise) so I'd like to make a pumpkin challah this week.

No comments:

Post a Comment