Tuesday, March 13, 2012

The Four Agreements by Don Miguel Ruiz


This is not my usual pick but it was lent to me by a friend. I have always enjoyed learning about how other people view the world and the things that people believe in order to fill their lives with meaning. This is why I studied the Bible even though I'm not a Christian, read up on Buddhism even though I'm not a Buddhist, and read the Satanic Bible even though I'm not a Satanist. It is easier to understand why people do the things they do when you have some knowledge of their chosen mythology.

This is a somewhat spiritual look at how one man thinks that people should conduct themselves in order to create a better "You" and a better world. A lot of the things in this book are pretty self-explanitory or kind of common sense, however other stuff is interesting. It is my opinion that this book could and should have been a lot shorter. I kind of feel like the author had a page count goal and was doing his best to meet that goal even when the content is fluff.

I also feel like the author doesn't think very highly of his readers. The book is small, 138 pages long and the font is pretty big and yet, the author literally does the thing where he references a concept from chapter one in chapter 3 and then asks, "You remember what that is, right?" Ouch... Yes, I remember.

The concepts are solid and insightful and there are some people that I think would really benefit from this book and the author's teachings. I would recommend this book though selectively. 2 out of 5 stars.

No comments:

Post a Comment