Tuesday, March 13, 2012

Geek Girls Unite by Leslie Simon


I got this book for Christmas from my honey. I am his cute little nerd and that's the way he likes it! (Fortunately, that's the way I like it, too.) This book is great in a lot of ways but in other ways, not so much. I really, really wanted to like it but then I realized that I'm a nerd and I'm at least somewhat critical of everything. So let's break it up.

First, what I don't like about this book:
- they suggested that Twitards are people, too and that the Geek Girl community should be more welcoming to them. And also, that I should stop calling them Twitards. Not a chance.
- There were inaccuracies. When discussing Felicia Day (Queen of the Internet) they suggested that us Geek Girls are foaming at the mouth in anticipation of Miss Day reprising her role as Penny in the sequel to "Doctor Horrible's Sing Along Blog." Penny died. Not possible. Also, she said that in the Tank Girl movie, Tank Girl's boyfriend Booga was played by Ice T. False. Booga is played by Jeff Kober. Ice T plays a badass named T-Saint.
- She assumes we're all looking for boyfriends. Not so. The Geek Lesbian community is huge.

What I do like:
- It is pretty inclusive. There's a lot of stuff in here that I'm surprised the author was able to dig up. No she didn't get everything right, but she did get some things! Honorable.
- It's kind of like a field guide! If you were bird-watching for Geek Girls, this is the book for you. It's a whole host of topics you can use to either start a conversation and cozy up to this girl or get a drink thrown in your face for being on the wrong side of the argument.

I give this book a three out of five. I'm still undecided on if I would recommend this book to other people. Really, I think this will just be a pretty spine on my shelf.

No comments:

Post a Comment