Wednesday, November 4, 2015

Steven Universe


A couple months ago, my DVR died and I lost everything that I had recorded (which was a lot) and I lost the list of shows that it was scheduled to automatically record. I had become content with my tv schedule. I didn't have to think about what I wanted to watch. Like clockwork, my shows, his shows, and our shows would just appear on the list and we'd work our way through them. When the DVR died, I had a little bit of a mental block. I couldn't remember what I watched. It just appeared, I didn't have to put mental effort into it. Sure, there were my short seasoned competition shows that I knew (I would like to say that I only watch reality tv that requires a skill. "So You Think You Can Dance," "Project Runway," "Master Chef Junior," and "The Great British Bake Off," namely. Okay, I watch "Sister Wives," also.) but other than that, *shrug*. So I threw it out to my Facebook friends. "Friends, what shows do I watch?" I got a variety of suggestions, "Mr. Robot," "Diners, Drive Ins and Dives," "Rick and Morty," and "Steven Universe." Some of these shows I kept, some I did not.

"Steven Universe," is one of the shows I kept. Actually, I think I only kept the cartoons. At first, the thing that drew me in about this show was that the episodes were short. Sure, I could spend ten minutes watching a goofy little boy have adventures with his friends. I soon found myself picking Steven over some of my other shows because it was a sweet and sincere show that was not centered around violence and was just so warm and fuzzy. While a lot of "kids" television is not inherently violent, it is not exactly loving either. Characters are not often emotionally sincere with each other and real emotions are not often dealt with. While many of the episodes are adventure-based, they are also emotionally-based. When Connie fights the gem shards in her mother's hospital, it isn't just about Connie's amazing sword skills, it was about Connie and her mother trusting each other more.

I love that a show like this is appealing to children today. I believe by showing an non-binary family structure coming together to support this little boy who is not exactly the smartest kid, but definitely the most enthusiastic, will make kids find these relationships to be normal. Yes, Garnet is two lesbian gems fused together in love, Amethyst is somewhat butch, Pearl is fastidious, and Greg is... a human man... they all love Steven and work together to keep him happy and safe. I appreciate seeing a show like this on the air. I love seeing that the people who are creating television for young children today feel the immense responsibility that lies in their hands. Kids take what they see on tv and apply it to their lives. If they see a family structure they aren't used to and can see that it is just as good as their own family, this will spill into their life. I look forward to meeting the "Steven Universe," generation.

No comments:

Post a Comment