Thursday, November 12, 2015

Week 4 Writing Prompts, Part 2

1. Describe your childhood room. What was your favorite thing about it? What's your favorite thing about your room right now?
We moved when I was in fourth grade so I will describe both of my rooms. My room in Palmdale was in the furthest front corner of the house. My parents were always a little uncomfortable that my bedroom window was in the front of the house because there was very little between me and the outside world. I am an only child so I spent a lot of my time in my room. I believe the walls were white and the carpet was tan. My parents bought the house new so there were thick carpet pads which made the carpet very comfortable to sit on. I had little hammocks in two corners of the room where my stuffed animals lived. I suppose they weren't terribly high up but I was small so they seemed high to me. I had a doll house that I purchased with my own money. It was my prized possession for many years. I believe my parents still have that dollhouse and when I have a kid, it will come out of storage.

My room in Santa Clarita shared a wall with the garage. This means that there was a fence and a garage between me and the outside world. I think my parents were much more comfortable with that. The closest doors had mirrors on them which I found to be quite novel. I'm not sure if there had been a mirror in my other room, I may have had to go into the bathroom or my parents room to look in the mirror. My room was white for quite awhile though one year while I was away at summer camp, my mom repainted my whole room light blue with little clouds and gold stars. I was totally shocked but I loved it. I had a little desk that I've always felt was too small for me that I'd try to do my homework at. I spent a lot of time reading on the floor or my bed. The room is fairly small so there wasn't really any exposed wall space. I did have a big round popasain chair when I was older because reading sitting on the floor wasn't cutting it. That house was a repo house. The previous tenants had trashed the place. So while the carpet was new, it was very thin and cheap. My parents have lived in that house nearly twenty years now and it's the same carpet mostly because it is too much of a pain in the ass to replace it.

The thing I liked most about my bedroom as a kid was that it could very easily be my entire world. I could shut myself up in their for hours and play and read and listen to music. Sometimes it felt like as long as I'm in my room, no one can hear what I'm doing and no one would bother me.

My favorite thing about my bedroom now is that I get to share it with my husband. Even though we aren't cuddlers, I love falling asleep knowing that he's right beside me. I also love the bookshelves in our room. All of our books that we have yet to read, standing side by side, smiling down on us as we sleep.

2. Describe five traits you liked in yourself as a child.
- I liked that I was creative.
- I liked that I didn't care if people knew how much I liked books. (Used to hide in the library on my lunch and recess.)
- I liked that I was recognized as one of the smart kids.
- I liked that my mom volunteered to help all the time.
- I liked that most of my friends were boys.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment