Wednesday, November 16, 2011

Curiositities

I have a new fascination. I mean like, really new. Yesterday on my way to work, I was listening to NPR like I do every day. (The weather report comes on at exactly 7:51am. I can tell if I'm running late or not.) On Monday morning (after the weather report) they had actor and rapper Donald Glover on for an interview. You may know Donald from his role as Troy on the show Community. I love Community and I follow Donald on Twitter. He's a really funny guy and I had heard him talking about his alter ego, Childish Gambino, but I had no idea what that was all about.

Lucky me, Donald Glover was on NPR to talk about his new nerd rap album under his pseudonym Childish Gambino and his new album that just came out. I thought, "Hold on, did they just say nerd RAP? Is that a thing? Do I not know about this thing?" As always, the answer was yes. I had no idea about the things and all the wonderful stuffs they provided. Out of the loop!

When I got to work, I loaded up my Grooveshark and searched for Childish Gambino. ADD ALL. PLAY. I was so entirely enthralled. Instead of talking about bitches and hoes, the raps were about Star Wars and Mario Brothers. If there was any mention of a gun, it was probably in a song about Halo. Oh gods, music like this exists?! Rap I can not only relate to but also enjoy?! Amazing.

as I was listening, I heard Donald start to name drop other nerds who happened to rap and who may or may not have inspired him. (I really wish more artists would do stuff like this. Just in the middle of the song say, "Hey! If you like us, you should go check out this other group because they're super great too!" Why is it only cool for rappers to do this?) From Childish Gambino I was able to jump off onto MC Chris and MC Lars and I now officially have enough nerdy music on my work Grooveshark station to not only keep me occupied but also keep anyone else from attempting to use my desk. (Also it helps that I replaced my chair with a giant blue ball this week. Desk paranoia? Who knows.)

I have never been a person who really feels comfortable listening to rap. It felt insincere to me to listen to any rappers other than The Beastie Boys and I could only get away with that with the knowledge that their fiirst album was made as a joke. I feel liberated to have discovered yet another way for me to express my nerdiness and also not fear that I'm not going to get my ass handed to me if I ever attempt to see these performers live. I like my life and would enjoy the continuation of it.

Here's a video for your enjoyment.

No comments:

Post a Comment