Thursday, November 10, 2011

We Are the Media: Tom Wilson

Tonight I intended to do my big long write up about my experience with "Doctor Horrible's Sing Along Blog," but by the time I found the dvd and made a screenshot and got all prepared, I'm too tired now and I have ballet soonish. So, this weekend! Stay tuned!

Tonight I want to talk about a guy who I have accidentally listened to a lot the last two days and that is actor, comedian and artist, Tom Wilson. Most people know him as Biff from "Back to the Future," but it turns out he's a really smart and funny guy in other regards. He was first brought to the forefront of my attention while I was listening to The Nerdist podcast yesterday. He is in episode number 125 which can be found here: http://www.nerdist.com/podcast/nerdist/

Tom spent a lot of time talking about all the things he has been doing besides being in movies which I always enjoy. It turns out that he's quite the artist. His passion is painting portraits of childhood toys in heroic lighting. These painting are meant to incite a certain reaction in people. He wants people to look at them and say, "I remember that! I got that for Christmas in 1982! I loved that thing to pieces!" He likes to hear the personal experiences attached to these otherwise meaningless objects. The personifications and memories are what makes your action figure your hero; it has nothing to do with the quality of plastic or cloth the toy is made of. Wilson said in his Nerdist interview that he sees this experience very much the same as when a person sees a celebrity from their favorite movie for the first time. The person wants to tell you about the experience they had with that movie and it is much more about them than it is about the celebrity.

I find that to be an absolutely fascinating perspective and I wish that more celebrities would adopt it. Rather than cultivating fame for yourself, every movie, book, tv show or whatever you involve yourself in is an experience for another person.

Tom recently started his own Podcast called "Big Pop Fun," just like his website. So far he only has one episode and he spends most of it talking about his "Back to the Future," experience. I personally am looking forward to hearing more from him and learning from him.

Tom Wilson's website: http://www.bigpopfun.com/
Big Pop Fun the podcast: http://www.nerdist.com/podcast/big-pop-fun/

And for your viewing pleasure, the song in which Tom Wilson answers all the questions you have about "Back to the Future."

No comments:

Post a Comment