Tuesday, November 1, 2011

An Introduction: In Which Our Hero Reveals Herself

I hate doing introduction posts but I understand they're necessary so you, the reader can understand my intentions with this blog and oh please, oh please let us go out on a second date. I swear I'll have the blog home by nine, sir.


My name is Mel. I'm originally from Los Angeles but that is the city I am incapable of being happy in and it does terrible things to my brain-meats. I moved to Humboldt County about five years ago to go to Humboldt State University and finish my Journalism degree. In those five years, I finished the degree, realized I really didn't want to be a journalist after all and then spent a collective thirteen months desperately searching for ANY job. I currently work at a local internet marketing company in the tech department and I enjoy my job lots.

I am a self-proclaimed Nerd. I prefer this term to to geek or dork because of the implied connotations that I feel are attached to those words. For example, for people, someone who is a Geek periodically eats odd, inedible objects for attention or money. This is the classic definition of the work geek. I realize this is not the active definition but I really don't care. for me, a Dork is someone who is awkward or uncomfortable with his or herself, is striving for acceptance, is probably really clumsy and probably has a lot of problems. I feel like "dork" is the word that other people use to put geeks down. It's like a Star Wars fan calling some kid a Trekkie. Not cool, man. Sure, we can all act like a dork at one time or another but that does not necessarily mean that is what we are. This brings me to my chosen title: "nerd." To me, a nerd is someone who is very passionate about one very specific thing and this person wants to find all the other people who like this one specific thing. Often a nerd can be seen dressing up in costumes to become their beloved thing and feeling not shame, but in fact pride. The nerd knows when other nerds are watching and other nerds are jealous. The nerd speaks in a secret code that only other nerds understand. Sure, it sounds kind of like a cult but what doesn't these days? I would rather be a member of the Cult of Firefly than the Cult of the Kardashians. (Why are they famous? I still don't get that one...)

I realized recently that my one main goal in life is to somehow become the queen of the nerds. I then realized my name isn't Felicia Day and therefore, never going to happen but I have to try, okay? My passion for science fiction, movies, games, books, toys, web comics, costumes, etc. should be enough to qualify me as at least a Nerd Princess or Nerd Hand Maiden. I realize I have to show some street cred. Okay here goes...

I've slept with Neil Patrick Harris.

What?

While he read Harry Potter.

What?!

And played with his iPhone...

No way!

On the set of Doctor Horrible's Sing Along Blog.

O.O

Well, that's sort of mostly true. I would like to dedicate an entire post to my experience with Joss Whedon, Neil Patrick Harris and Doctor Horrible but here's the truth of the matter: Doctor Horrible was filmed at my ex-boyfriend's house while I was living there and the only safe spots to hide during filming were the front yard and my bedroom. My bedroom was also NPH's dressing room. Between takes I was hiding on my bed with my laptop and NPH came in and asked if I minded if he napped next to me. For the next half hour, I think my brain made a noise only dogs could hear. I think he's just glad I didn't take pictures of him while he slept.

So this is my blog. This is where I want to write about all my weird experiences living in LA, my love for the toy department at Target, my hatred for chick flicks, my love for space ships, giant robots, female characters who are sexy and intelligent, blue boxes that are bigger on the inside and inaccurate chicken dances.

The journey will be long and dangerous. You'll need this:

1 comment:

  1. OMG!!! Cute bunny....and OMG NPH and Dr. Horrible!!?!?! WHA?!!?!?!!?!!?!

    ReplyDelete