Wednesday, November 30, 2011

We Are the Media: The Big Bang Theory





I ADORE The Big Bang Theory! I feel like this show is a gentle bridge between nerd culture and "normal people." (Can I just call them Muggles?) I did not find this show on my own, it was introduced to me by my mother. (Yes, the same woman who chants, "I don't like Sci Fi!") I think in a lot of ways, my mom related to Penny in that she isn't a nerd but she finds herself surrounded by nerds a lot and by default, has to learn some nerd lingo. (My mom is a nerd. She is a Disney nerd.)

The Big Bang Theory speaks to everyone. It is a rare show that has the ability to make really, really nerdy references that only a small number of people will understand and then follow it up with something everyone finds amusing. There is a relateable character on the show for everyone who watches. The diverse cast shows that not all nerds are the same and we will always have something to fight about.

Over the years of watching, my favorite interactions are between Amy Farrah Fowler and Sheldon Cooper. They are both very educated and highly educated individuals but they have such incredibly different desires in life. Amy is such a sweet little hopeless romantic who just wants to be normal and accepted by her peers and Sheldon is only interested in mint-condition comic books and his journey toward a Nobel Prize.

The only problem I really have with this show is that it is sometimes obvious that the actors are not actually in fact nerds. I've heard the ComiCon panels and they have admitted (which I think is a poor decision on their part) to often not understanding the conversations that are going on between their character. This makes me a bit sad. I know it isn't always possible, but I would love for the nerd community to be represented by actual nerds. It isn't always obvious in the show but subtle things make it a little obvious for example, the way they handle comic books. They touch them too much. They'd make wrinkles.

All in all, this is an adorable show and I applaud Chuck Lorre for his efforts to bring nerds into the media in a positive way.

No comments:

Post a Comment