Thursday, November 3, 2011

Nerd Queens: Music - Marian Call

Today is probably going to quite the postful day because I still have an hour and a half before my ballet class and the house is all to myself.

Since I moved out of Los Angeles, I have not been around as many people who grab me by the hair and say, "Hey! Look at this fantastic nerdy artist!" I know a lot of cool stuff passes me by just because my nerd community is not as active as it could be but that's okay, I love where I live, I have the internet and people make these beautiful things called podcasts. My job doesn't require me to speak with humans all that often so I spend much of my day listening to music and podcasts while I work. Nerdist is my all-time favorite but I have a really hard time not giggling while listening to it. So I often find myself in a very quiet office with four other people very nearby, giggling like an idiot about something that no one else can hear. Hooray, that's what going crazy feels like. Anyway, what I've come to realize in my hunt for things to listen to, is that there are very few podcasts by nerdy women. This is a very sad thing and it makes me sad. No, I'm not going to start podcasting. One of the nerd-lady driven podcasts I did find was podcast for GeekMom.com and while I myself am not a mom, I can appreciate a lot of the stuff they talk about.

In their first podcast (I'm listening to them in order. They have seven now.) one of the ladies is talking about this great female nerd musician named Marian Call. She was saying how great this lady was and she's played several shows at the Think Geek headquarters and she's so great, blah blah blah. So I have to check her out.

Alright, I don't know a whole lot about this lady but she plays the typewriter as a musical instrument. What's not to love?

No comments:

Post a Comment